Like all the other drywall/plaster projects, this had tons of steps and seems like it takes forever. First, we had to build out a wall with 2 x 4s, then cover that with drywall.
and then add a second layer of drywall, because the old walls are button board and a layer of old-fashioned plaster on top, for a thickness of 1". Which means we have to put in two layers of 1/2" drywall, and then Dale does a layer of veneer plaster over it all to tie it together.
This is what it looks like from the kitchen side. This wall looks monumental to me right now, but I think I'll get used to it as we move along.
So -- this is what it looked like with a pocket door. Very cute, and I really liked it, but the door no longer made any sense --
And this is what it looks like now. I do have big plans for the near future, however.
Meanwhile.....I also got the walls in the kitchen painted, and crown molding hung in most of the kitchen, but we still have a few small spots that need touchups along the beam, so I am in the middle of a few things. Here's a little preview of some of the detail work I've been doing:
Trim around the beam and the ceiling in the kitchen where the wall has been smoothed out --
We continued to add the additional band 5" down from the ceiling to make the molding appear deeper. This picture above is the first color I bought but I was not happy with it -- too minty, so the new color is a more celery green.
So - there is a little more done, but right now we're in Indiana visiting our cute little grandson (oh, and the rest of the kids, too!). We drove this time, and had a fun time, so I'll add that post later this week. In the meantime, here's a picture of Parker J to tide you over:
The little drummer boy!