We got an interesting tour about the gardens at the Getty.
But we jumped into action during the rest of the week. First off, getting the rest of the electrical and the ceiling done. Our ceiling was covered in ceiling tiles and furring strips. Taking all this down left a lot of holes, and we also had to remove a huge old ventilation fan from the ceiling. So that left us with a lot of work to do on the ceiling.
Originally, I had hoped we could patch/sand/fill, but with the sum of all the work, Dale decided it would be better to skim coat the whole thing. Which would be a huge amount of work for me, but luckily, he's a plasterer, and so he had no problem. you can see how nasty it was before above...
By the way, that large section of purple drywall on the wall above is covering a hole that will be a pantry coming up in the near future. We just put the drywall there temporarily to keep it looking better. Dale did a veneer plaster coat on the wall to the left of the door because there was a ridge where the old cabinets were, and the layers and layers of paint over the past 50 years left a mark that was super defined. We will be replacing this door, too, maybe with a slightly narrower door (this one is 32 inches wide, and it just barely clears the island. 30 inches would be better, and we want a french door there). So that wall has a lot of changes coming, but for now, it's just going to stay a little bit neat.
We also finished getting all the old plumbing taken out, and connected to our new island plumbing -
With any luck, we can get the tile done this week, and then we'll have the weekend to install some cabinets. Since they've been taking up all the space in the garage all summer, it'll be great to have some workshop space in there again, too!