So this week the roofers came. In preparation, we had to empty the garage (the slats on the roof have slight spaces between each slat, and when they take the roof off, it's gonna pour down a lot of dust and crumbs from the roof), and move the vardo. It's been in front of the garage, and that's where they need to dump all the roof they tear off. So we packed everything up out of the garage, and prepared to roll the vardo into the larger part of the background - only to find that the lemon tree was blocking us. So we had to cut that down. It was something we were going to do anyway, but we got that started.
In preparation for having no work to do on that for a week, I gave the door parts three coats of red paint. I bought a sample of a nice, vibrant red -- too red, actually, but I knew I'd be 'antiquing' it, so going a little bright is fine. My plan was to learn how to do "one stroke" flowers, and also figure out some stencil patterns, along with adding some birds. I love birds.
So here it is! This is after painting all the details, then giving it a coat of varnish to protect the paint, then giving it a coat of black paint, wiping off as I go so that it just collects in the corners and edges, and tones down the vibrant color. This is both pieces laid out together on the concrete so I could see how they work together.
The blank space above the windows is going to have a mosaic embedded in it -- I'm thinking it'll be buttons, which I have a ton of.
I cut a few stencils from some blank stencil plastic, and I also purchased a few different stencils. I'm going to be covering this whole thing with a ton of embellishment, so having a lot of choices was important.
Like I said, I like birds. I gave Dale two choices, he chose blue jay and cardinal, and I chose crow and seagull. The cardinal posed a little problem - the bird is about the same color red that I painted the doors, so I had to add a blue background. My favorite is the blue jay, it came out nice, and I really love crows, so that one makes me happy, too. Both of the stencils on this picture are ones I cut.
On the top, I practiced my flower skills. I have another large area that is going to have flowers, so I wanted to practice a bit on this. I watched some videos and looked at some how-tos online, and got painting. One night, it was so incredibly hot while I was painting (we had a mini-heat wave), and I was trying to keep a fan on me, but it was drying the paint out so fast. Anyway, I got that all done. After I antiqued the red, I gave it two coats of clear poly to protect it against weather and wear.