I got the image transferred to the table top with a overhead projector, and sketched it out in pencil. I then went over it with a fine brush and black acrylic paint. After that, I sanded the text down so it had a little bit of a vintage look, as if it had been on an old crate.
After that, I gave it two coats of stain - the same stain I used on the trim of our kitchen cabinets, so it would be harmonious with them. Then I had to let that dry for a day before applying 6 coats of spar varnish, letting each dry and then sanding lightly before applying the next coat.
In the meantime, I sanded, primed and painted the base.
For the first black coat, I used some leftover paint from the outside furniture. After that dried well, I sanded it and then applied a coat of black satin spray - the same paint I used on the old table. I like the finish -- not too shiny, but a nice, deep black (this picture is of the initial coat of slightly off-black paint).
And this is of the deeper Rustoleum satin finish black.
Then I glued and screwed the base to the top from underneath.
I actually finished the coats of varnish earlier in the week but I wanted to let the topcoat harden a bit before I brought it in, because I know a couple of cats will waste no time walking across it with their tippy tappy toes.
I applied a coat of paste wax so hopefully we won't get too many nicks in the finish. I will say that the last table looked brand new when we sold it, so all these layers seem to do the trick.
Oh, I sure wish that ugly air conditioner was gone! We've got to replace the window to get rid of it.....
Note added: If you want to build a table like this yourself, you can check out my plans at ana-white.com here.