Saturday, October 26, 2013

Cabinets are going in

We were working hard to get our kitchen in workable order before our company came on October 9 -- Lindsay came down on Friday, and Leslie and Clint and Parker were due to arrive on Saturday morning.  We didn't get done as quickly as we had hoped, but we did manage to get the fridge and the cabinets across the back wall.

We did manage to get the outlet behind the stove put in the ONE PLACE that it would conflict with the electrical panel, so we do need to move the outlet and then the stove can fit fully in place.

In this shot above we hadn't added the molding and the trim at the top and bottom of the cabinets, but I got most of that done today.  Tomorrow, I'll take more pictures.

I had to cut down some base molding and stain it to match the cabinets, and I'm pretty pleased with how it came out so far.

One thing we had to do was modify some of the cabinets that we are building the island from.  We had to adapt the sink base to fit our stone sink.  We had to cut down the front so the sink could rest on the edge, and add additional support since the sink weighs close to 400 pounds!

On the living room side of the island, we will have two 12" wide cabinets on either side of a seating area.  The cabinets were 24" deep, but that was deeper than they had to be, so I cut 6" off the back side and cut the interior shelves down as well.  That way, the island doesn't extend TOO far into the living room.

The picture above shows the plumbing and electrical that are going into the sink cabinet before we placed the cabinet over them -- still arranging all the details -- and the one on the right shows the shortened 12" cabinet.

We were hoping to have our sink installed tonight, but when Dale went to install the garbage disposal into the sink, we realized that the flange was too short (since the sink is very thick).  So we have to order an extended flange from a plumbing supply store, so that will have to wait until Monday.  In the meantime, we'll get the rest of the cabinet boxes installed and do some trimwork.  Tonight, I put two applications of sealer on the sink, and I'd like to put one or two more applications on tomorrow.

Hopefully, tomorrow we get the cabinets all installed, and the trim stained.  Since we can't get the sink fully installed until Monday, we are hoping to catch up with a lot of the other details, like the electrical, installing the dishwasher, etc.  Still so much to do, but it's coming along well!

No comments:

Blogging tips