- replace the 2 front windows with new single hung windows
- replace the back door with a full view or multi-paned french door
- hang some decor
- make a chair pad for the bench
- get a new kitchen table
But as for that drive -- one thing that's really been driving me nuts was theliving room - it's acoustic tile ceiling and the ugly paneled walls that are painted but still uneven, the giant brick fireplace that's in the worst place ever -- but mostly the ceiling. This is what it looked like when we bought the place:
That's the lovely beam we put in, and that's the ugly ceiling tiles that we had to cut back to access the area. Brown, seriously?? what were these people thinking?
So, we cleared the room, taped off the doors and went to work pulling off the paneling and then taking down the tiles and furring strips on the ceiling. It always looks SO MUCH worse before it gets better!
What we wanted to do was create a coffered ceiling. We had one in our house on Bosart Street back when we lived in Indiana, we loved it. I watched another blogger do hers in NO time at all, and it gave me the nudge to get going. I showed the pics to Dale, and he was sold, so this is our plan. But first, of course, there are some serious issues that removing the paneling showed us:
We knew there was some plaster damage here, the paneling was loose at the corner and we could peek in and see there were some issues. Large chunks of plaster gone, and the stuff along the bottom -- well, that's just a mess. What they had done was create a switch that turned on the outlet - but they ran the wire right above the wood there, flush with the plaster. We could have hit it with a nail or screw anytime. Totally unsafe.
The other mess is this above, around the sliding glass door. All kinds of janky wood filler, and big swaths of plaster missing. This is actually OK with us - we can fix the plaster, but I'm contemplating waiting a bit on this, probably just do some minor patching because we plan on removing the sliding glass door and replacing it with 4 french doors that we bought off craigslist for a hundred bucks. We'll need to build a frame, and we can see here exactly what size we need to fit it to. And it would be easier if we didn't get the plaster all finished out since we'd have to cut it again, and we want to get the doors done this spring, so we may just patch this up a bit and let it roll for a bit. There is also some damage to the floors here which we'll fix when we replace the doors.
After we pulled everything down, we patched all the many many holes in the ceiling, sanded them down, then patched again. I contemplated priming the ceiling, but we decided to go ahead and lay out the coffers at this point.
So after screwing 2 x 4s and some blocking to the ceiling, we attached the sides to the boxes that make up the beams in the ceiling. This actually went really easily, and this is where we also ran into two more problems: because we are intending on putting bookshelves all along the back wall, we didn't want to build the coffers all the way to that wall, so we stopped 12" short of the wall to allow for the shelves. So they just sort of stop--
It finally subsided some, I'm still dealing with it, but I can manage as long as I take breaks and don't pick up anything heavy. So I got the ceiling and beams caulked, primed and painted --- 2 coats of primer, 2 coats of paint --
And it's looking really awesome. Right now we have a stupid "boob" light in the center --we want to get a nice ceiling fan fixture, but we'll wait until we need to. We decided that since we were going to all the trouble to smooth out the ceiling and we could see where all the joists were, we might as well install recessed lights while we were at it. so that added a few days to the job. But they are AWESOME.
It's so nice that the crappy ceiling tiles are gone, and the ceilings are beautiful and smooth.
I've done several other things -- finished a whole lot of trim, am halfway through putting in the base cabinets for the bookshelves, but we had to stop and do a bunch of electrical -- this house had all kinds of wacky circuits, and when we added in the recessed lights, we realized that it was time to do a map and get all the circuits mapped.
We listed every single electrical outlet, switch and light in the house, and tested each one.
After we did this, we realized that about 75% of our lights and outlets were on the same circuit, and we had two empties. So back up into the system to balance that out. We feel so much better and we know that there are dedicated circuits now to our electronics and that nothing is over-taxed. And now, no guessing when we need to switch off a breaker to rewire an outlet or run a fixture.
So while the living rooms are still gross brown, we have been making progress, and hopefully I'll get some updates up in the next week or so. We are coming along!