Last year we made a 3 piece seating set for our patio. You can see that process here. After having guests out all summer, we never got around to painting or finishing the wood in some way, which of course, was something we needed to do to help preserve the wood. So this weekend (while Dale's back is STILL keeping him from doing kitchen electrical), I went out and sanded it all down and gave it a coat of paint. Here's what they were looking like:
Along with the wood getting weathered, the cushions were really faded from a year in the hot SoCal sun. So I went out and bought some fun fabric and made new covers. here's what the faded fabric looked like (You can see where this one had a pillow lying on top of it!):
Although I could buy sun-resistant fabric, I know that I like to change things up, and whipping up new covers with inexpensive fabric is a nice way to update the furniture each year. That, and a quart of exterior semi-gloss paint and I can get a whole new look. Last year, I thought I wanted them to be a dark red (well, that never happened!), but this year, I was thinking a nice black background with a blue batik style fabric would look cheery:
One thing I'm not sure about is the configuration - it's supposed to be set up as a U shape -- but I found that a little bulky. I've got it set up as two independent pieces this time: an L shape and a stand alone sofa. I'm thinking of taking off one or more sides of the last piece -- still up in the air about that, but I'm not afraid to grab the sawz-all and lop the arms off if I think it'll work out better!
We really need a coffee table here, too -- so we could sit out here and eat out, now that spring is here!