I temporarily nailed a piece of wood to use as a guide for the skill saw to be sure it was super straight.
I switched the two locks, putting the deadbolt on top, since we'll always have the bottom half closed. I had to add a slide bolt to connect them together.
Ick. You can see in this picture how grimy this door is!
You can also see the 1/4" gap, which I have to cover on this back side with a piece of wood trim so that rain and creepie crawlers don't come in. On the outside, I added a piece of shoe molding to prevent water from running down and around into the gap.
And here it is, all complete. Just opening the top half instantly cools the kitchen down!
I looked up dutch doors to find out some information about measurements, etc - and found out that they were originally designed to let air in and keep the livestock out. Our livestock will be able to escape from this door, so I'll have to be careful when I open it!
And now I have to do something about that pitiful pull down shade!